Monday, October 13, 2008

Finicky Dog? Try Peanut Butter

I've got a 13 year old Siberian Husky who has become very finicky over the years. It's probably our fault; she's just waiting for a better deal as she gets tired of the tricks we use to get her to eat. We started with that powdered Italian cheese in the green can, parmesan from Kraft. Then she got finicky about that and didn't eat easily. Then low fat mozzarella cheese sprinkled on her dog food was a hit for awhile. Then when that got old we tried the Colby jack shredded cheese. Eventually my finicky dog got tired of all this. We've found something that seems be working now and has for awhile. I think the trick is to give her one thing at breakfast and another for dinner. Currently my finicky dog likes Peanut Butter on her food in the morning. I buy Skippy light or reduced fat or something like that, it has a light blue lid. I take two medium scoops and put it in the food, then use my spoon to work the peanut butter around and get some on all the food. At night we take some broccoli and a few pieces of turkey from the deli counter and mix all that in and she seems to enjoy it. So if you have a finicky dog try using Peanut Butter to keep your dog interested in eating.